In the winter, people tend to stay inside away from the beaches. But while we are all hibernating, the oceans are still out there taking care of fish, corals, seaweeds, and all our other ocean friends.
January isn't always the best time for beachside fun in the sun, but there's still plenty of ways to enjoy the ocean in the winter months--especially with your little Sea Pals in tow! Here are some of our favorites:
- Beach yoga! Kids Yoga Stories has some easy poses for kids to get them in a beachy frame of mind.
- Treasure hunt! With fewer people on the beach, you can hide treasure on the beach for your kids to find and not have to worry about pirates making off with the loot.
- Seashell collecting. With less competition, you'll have your pick of the best shells!
- Beach picnic. Bring a thermos of warm drinks and some blankets and have a nice group meal with just yourselves and nature. If local laws allow, you could even build a bonfire for extra coziness.
- Quiet beach walks. Empty beaches are a great opportunity to stop and appreciate ocean sounds and observe how wildlife behave outside of tourist season.
Do you have any favorite winter beach activities or traditions? Let us know!